The Knitting Group

Yeah, I know I'm a lazy bugger, & that it's been around six months since I posted anything on this blog. Yeah, & I know, deep down, that the only reason the blog exists is to entertain me, but still - 6 months? Way too long.
So this morning I thought I'd try to make amends & write something, something on what I've done or what I think.
My wife Pat belongs to a local knitting group - they get together every Thursday morning to talk about...what? Their knitting ostensibly, & apparently, sometimes they do discuss knitting. And I don't think I'd go so far as to compare this group with the sobriquet given to another craft club; this time a sewing group, often called "stitch & bitch" by those catty folk among us. Instead I'd call this little friendly gathering one given to "knitting & nattering" because of course, when people get together (and not just women) it's the nattering that provides the fun, held together by the common cause of, in this case, knitting.
So I thought I'd try & do something creative for this small group. I made them some business cards. I made these cards, though, relative to what the group was all about. Here's what I did. First I printed out the word "knitting" on a letter-sized sheet of paper, in large print so I'd have some space to work in.
Then I got some of my wife's yarn & pasted lengths of yarn over each letter, so it looked as if the letter was made out of the brown woollen yarn. That took me a while as judging the length needed was a matter of trial & error, especially as I didn't want any of the print to show through, & if it did, it could be taken for shadow. It took a few attempts before it dawned on me that the font colour itself, on the paper, should approximately mirror the colour of the yarn so any imperfections by way of spillover would be less noticeable.
Having got my word "knitting" set out on the page, I then photographed the work & saved it to my computer. I then opened up Microsoft Publisher &chose a business card template that I liked, brought my newly-saved photo of the word "knitting" onto the business card, & hey presto!, the girls at the knitting group had a fun card that they could share with other ladies who might be interested in joining!

Comments

Popular Posts