Fresh air & geese

Now the rain has gone, the air is astonishly fresh & clean here in the midwest. Today was almost a perfect day, weatherwise; high sixties, brilliant blue sky, & a south wind just a tad too vigorous for my preference. Still, it was a delight to get out, & to the library for fresh novels to entertain of an evening (we don't have either cable or a TV antenna here).

On my way home, I noticed a boardwalk over water on the N side of Maple St, near 120th, & sought to investigate. Glad I did, as this is an Audubon Society sanctuary for Great Blue Herons, & I saw one arriving at these wetlands under restoration.

Mostly there were Canada Geese - lots of them - some large brown ordinary looking fish in shallow water (catfish I suspect) some turtles or terrapins, rabbits, frogs & lots of birds. All this just a few feet from a very busy road.

But I'm prompted to remind all bloggers of the original & best blogger around - Samuel Pepys, who started his diary in 1660, among all the excitement over whether the puritanical kind of republicanism in place for the last decade or so would prevail in England, or Charles Stuart would be restored.

You can read his blog online I've just discovered, & feel either inadequate or inspired, at www.pepysdiary.com, & fascinating reading it is.

Meanwhile here's a couple of pictures of Canada geese, eh?

Comments

Popular Posts